What’s better than Banana Bread? Chocolate Banana Bread… and what’s better than Chocolate Banana Bread? Chocolate HAZELNUT Banana Bread… perfect for all of Nutella fans out there!
Although you can easily find some healthier Banana Bread recipes online, I figured since this was my first I was going to go big or go home! Let me tell you… I didn’t go home, instead I ended up making these babies two weeks in a row! TRUTH – you can check the receipts with my bathroom scale.
You can make these in a loaf, or in large muffin tins, or regular muffin tins and they’re all equally delicious! Next time I’m planning to make these as mini-muffins in a sad attempt to control my intake… however that size, it will be hard to call them muffins, and more of Baked By Melissa’s newest flavor!
Check out my video on YouTube to see how they’re made.
Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread Muffins Recipe:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large brown bananas (1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup canola vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan (or muffin tins) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the melted butter and oil and stir until combined. Stir in the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don’t overmix. Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips + chopped hazelnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean, you might have some melted chocolate chips on the toothpick and that is fine. Check at 50 minutes, just to be safe. Oven times vary.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let the bread cool on the wire cooling rack until slightly warm. Cut into slices and serve.
Recipe Modified from Two Peas & Their Pod