Calling all avocado fans, I bet you didn’t know that you could BAKE with avocados to make the moistest chocolate cake ever, did you? Well not only can you – but you can make it Paleo! That means it’s healthy… right?
I stumbled across this recipe because I purchased avocados in bulk from Costco and they all got ripe at the same time! In a panic, I started Googling unique avocado recipes and came across the California Avocado website, which has a lot of great ones to choose from! You don’t have to just make guac, or avocado toast after all.
This one, I made using a sugar substitute and almond flour so it was Paleo and trust me when I say, it didn’t taste Paleo (if that’s even a defined thing). I will for sure make this again and highly recommend! My biggest piece of advice, is make sure you keep it in the oven, until you poke it and the skewer comes out clean, because mine needed more time than the recipe called for.
Watch my quick video on YouTube to see it in action.
Paleo Chocolate Avocado Cake Recipe:
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark honey
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 ripe, medium Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and mashed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water and vanilla extract onto cocoa powder and whisk to combine- it should be like a slightly runny paste.
- In a large bowl, sift almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add honey, coconut sugar, and avocados to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the avocado mixture is smooth and pale green.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the food processor and blend until well-combined.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the food processor, pulse 3-5 times to incorporate into the mixture.
- Gently fold the chocolate avocado mixture into the dry ingredients, adding chocolate chips if you’re using them.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The cake will be a bit jiggly.
- Cool the cake for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
Recipe by California Avocados